Choosing a custom home builder is a huge decision for most home buyers. Finding a builder that you feel comfortable with is the most important step to making sure that you have a good experience building your home. Here are a few suggestions for some things to ask yourself before choosing your next home builder:
- Do you like them? Is this the type of person that you could work well with on a project?
- How much time is the builder willing to spend with you before you sign a contract to make sure that you are well-informed about the building process, contract, warranty, and of course, home design? Do you feel like the builder is “rushing you” into signing a contract or do you feel well-informed about the building process?
- How are his/her communication skills? How does the builder like to communicate with his/her customers i.e. through text, phone calls, or face-to face meetings?
- How involved does the builder like his customers to be in the building process? How often can you expect to meet with the builder during construction?
- Who will you be dealing with most often when you build your home, the builder himself or a foreman? If it is a foreman, be sure to ask follow up questions to find out how they work together to insure that you are getting a well-built home.
- Ask for references! Every builder should be able to give you a list of references with whom you can speak to find out more about their experience with that builder.
- Does that builder provide guidance when making selections for your home? How do you know when and where to go to make selections?
These are just a few examples of questions that you should ask yourself about your builder before you sign a contract with them. Follow your gut feelings and go with a builder who you feel you will work best with to create the home of your dreams. You want your experience building your home to be a positive one and so does your builder, so take the time to find the right one to best meet your needs.